Courtesy of our free Healthy Crockpot Recipes Newsletter
- 2 1/2 cups dried garbanzo beans or 3 (15 ounces) cans chickpeas
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 8 cloves garlic (pressed or minced)
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups water or additional vegetable stock
- 2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 tsp pepper (freshly ground is always better)
- 1 (15 ounces) can diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 3 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 ounces grated fresh parmesan cheese (6 Tbs)
Soak dried garbanzo beans in water to cover overnight. Rinse and inspect the beans and set aside.
In a skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat, add the garlic and onion and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
Put the onion mixture, garbanzo beans, and next five ingredients in your crockpot.
Simmer in the crockpot for 2 to 4 hours. (I will start this on low in the morning, and turn up the heat when I come home for lunch).
To make the soup thicker, blend 4 cups of the soup in a blender, 1 cup at a time (very carefully, this is hot soup!) and then place all 4 cups back into the soup.
Stir in the balsamic vinegar and let the soup simmer another 15 minutes. (This is the perfect time to throw together a salad).
Place the soup in bowls (1 1/2 cups for 6 servings) and sprinkle with a tablespoon of parmesan cheese.
You can have the Health & Beyond Crockpot Recipe of the Week automatically appear and update every Sunday on your site with three simple lines of code. For details about this free service that will add value to your site and help keep visitors coming back, click here and tell me you want the Crockpot Recipe of the Week update code.