- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup oil
- 3cups flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 cup buttermilk*
- 3 average overripe bananas
- pinch salt
- 3/4 cups black walnuts (optional)
- 1/2 - 1 cup raisins (optional)
Mix buttermilk and baking soda in a glass and let stand about 5 minuters.
Cream oil, eggs, sugar and salt.
Add flour alternating with milk and soda.
Add bananas, nuts, and raisins.
Mix well and bake in 325 oven for 1 hour.
Makes 2 loaves.
* If you don't have buttermilk, you can use vinegar or lemon juice in regular milk. Use 1/2 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice per 1/2 cup milk.