- 1 stick butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 pound backfin crab meat
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper (white pepper preferred)
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seafood Seasoning
- 1/2 pound asparagus (fresh or frozen-drain and thaw well)
In saucepan, melt butter over medium to low heat.
Add onions and saute until onions are tender.
Whisk in flour slowly.
After this has been mixed well, whisk milk in slowly.
Add all remaining ingredients (except crab meat and asparagus) and cook until mixture thickens. If this mixture becomes too thick, add a little milk.
When desired consistency is reached, add crab meat and asparagus.
Cook only until asparagus is crisp and tender (about 10 to 15 minutes).
Serve immediately. Season to taste.
Makes about 8 cups.
This recipe was the first prize winner in the 1988 Holiday Cookbook Recipe Contest, The Daily Banner, Cambridge, Maryland. We congratulate the winner. You will, too.