Courtesy of our free Vegetarian Recipes Newsletter
- 1 package spring roll skin (found in Asian grocery and contains only rice)
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro (with stems)
- 1 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion (red onion is an okay substitute)
- 1 handful Bibb lettuce (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 fresh avocado, skinned, pitted, and chopped
- Juice of 1/2 lime or 1 1/2 Tbs bottled juice
- 1 Tbs freshly grated ginger
Chop all of the vegetables, and toss in a mixing bowl. Boil water in a pan at least the width of the spring roll skins. Submerge each skin in the boiling water for a count of 5, then roll each one as you go. (They want to stick together like glue.)
Gently take the skin out of the water. Run the skin under cold water for a few seconds, so handling is easier. Wet a plate, and spread out the spring roll skin on it.
Place the filling on the skin, making a line on the edge closest to you.
Roll it up, folding in the left and right corners (like burrito).
Continue with the rest. This is a great way to use any fresh produce you may have in the fridge.
Here are some dipping sauce ideas:
- Peanut butter with a dash of soy sauce
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/5 cup sugar
- 2 Tbs soy sauce or Tamari
- 1 Tbs chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 minced garlic cloves
Warm until sugar dissolves, whisk and chill. You can add hot sauce or pepper flakes if desired.
You can have the Health and Beyond Healthy Recipe of the Week automatically appear and update every Sunday on your site with three simple lines of code. For details about this free service that will add value to your site and help keep visitors coming back, click here and tell me you want the Healthy Recipe of the Week update code.